High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) can scorch extra calories and enables you to gain more muscle in a short span of time. Contrary to popular belief, this workout is suitable for all ages despite being an intense workout. In fact, recent studies have found out that this workout is the best exercise for seniors. HIIT is performed by alternating short bursts of intense activity interspersed with rest intervals. Interval training has shown effective results in restoring strength as well as having positive effects on the cellular level. There are other benefits seniors can enjoy from this workout as well:
- Promotes Better Memory - Memory declines as we age but adding HIIT to daily fitness routines can improve recollection skills in as few as six weeks, according to a study in the Journal of Cognitive Science. This is because the workout promotes an increase in protein which is vital to brain cell growth.
- Counter Muscular Decline - According to Mayo Clinic research, an HIIT fitness workout can improve the health of mitochondria, the energy producing component of the cell. This means exercise can actually reverse the diminishing health of muscles brought about by aging.
- Enhances Lung Health - Alternately doing an intense workout with resting periods improves overall aerobic capacity, the ability of the lungs and heart to get energy from muscles especially in seniors.
- Lowers Blood Glucose Level - Another study shows that an HIIT fitness program can effectively increase glucose metabolism in muscles. In a matter of two weeks of training, blood sugar level is controlled and regulated.
- Minimizes Manifestation of Parkinson's Disease - A research presents HIIT training aids in alleviating muscle rigidity and tremors in those patients with neurodegenerative diseases after doing interval training for 8 weeks.
Looking at these benefits, we encourage seniors to join HIIT fitness class in Canton, MA. There are personal trainers that will assist seniors in executing the exercises properly. Contact Answer is Fitness to find out more benefits of HIIT for seniors.