Summer is a great time to get back in shape. The warmer weather permits enjoyable outdoor activities such as running, swimming and cycling. However, the summer heat can be extreme and ruthless. It can take an adverse toll on your health. So before your scurry out and do your daily routine, make sure to take note the following tips.
- Avoid exercising under the scorching heat of the sun. As much as possible, defer from working out at 10am to 3pm outdoors.
- Dress for the weather. Choose loose, cottony shirts to help evaporate sweat and light-colored clothing to help reflect heat. This type of clothing will keep you cooler while doing your outdoor workout.
- Use SPF-50 sunscreen to protect your skin.
- Keep hydrated. Bring a water bottle and take a drink at least every 15 minutes. You may also drink beverages that can replenish salt and electrolytes.
- If you are feeling dizzy out in the sun, stop your activity immediately and find a shaded area to rest.
- Check for any heat wave forecast. You might want to postpone your outdoor workout and take your fitness regimen indoors instead.